Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 MOAR Review Thread

FURMAN

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
My point is your head has to be positioned perfect, if you are just slightly off it will go black. I’ve not had this issue with any other scopes that I can recall.

Maybe I just suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This actually helps ensure you're consistent. Like I said I have never even noticed.

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
My point is your head has to be positioned perfect, if you are just slightly off it will go black. I’ve not had this issue with any other scopes that I can recall.

Maybe I just suck.

I would have to agree with this. I think the eye box is a little more finicky than other scopes I have used. The NX8 is the only upper level scope in this class that I have used though. I was a little upset at first and almost regretted my purchase. But decided to put more time into and it's paid off. Once I'm snapped in correctly, it's not a problem. Now it's like riding a bike.

md99cobra

Reaction score
I would have to agree with this. I think the eye box is a little more finicky than other scopes I have used. The NX8 is the only upper level scope in this class that I have used though. I was a little upset at first and almost regretted my purchase. But decided to put more time into and it's paid off. Once I'm snapped in correctly, it's not a problem. Now it's like riding a bike.

Admittedly this is my first NX8. Maybe with more time I can master it.

It’s far from unusable but I could see it being an issue if you have to be in an awkward position and trying to shoot in the field.

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
I have never had eye box issues with my NX8 4~32. It is on my 6.5 PRC and there has been several shooters behind it including my wife and she has taken her 3 biggest bucks with it. But we do often run it on 25X

Broz

Reaction score
Admittedly this is my first NX8. Maybe with more time I can master it.

It’s far from unusable but I could see it being an issue if you have to be in an awkward position and trying to shoot in the field.

32X will result with a smaller field of view and will make it harder to get into full view. Maybe run her at 20 or 25X and see what thats like

JamesJ

Reaction score
While I do understand the eyebox sentiment, I personally feel it actually HELPS ensure that I'm in a consistent, repeatable position.

I use a peep sight on my bow that is fairly small and completely concentric with the housing on the actual sight. Many people suggest large peep sights for hunting, but why sacrifice accuracy and precision when the shot is even more critical than the practice range? The cons of going to a larger peep outweigh the pros of using a smaller one in my opinion. I'm not comparing the scope eyebox to how a bow peep/sight work, but rather the logic that the cons can actually be pros if you think about them that way. For example, if you run into an awkward position for a shot setup in the field, the tighter eyebox might actually force you into getting into proper position before executing the shot. Depending on the shot distance, this could be the difference between a great hit vs. wounding or missing the animal. Not to mention the practice at the range helps get that muscle memory dialed in beforehand.

I think we're all on the same page, just approaching the subject from opposite directions. I always enjoy good dialogue to help us all get better.

md99cobra

Reaction score
32X will result with a smaller field of view and will make it harder to get into full view. Maybe run her at 20 or 25X and see what thats like

Agreed Broz. I rarely, if ever shoot at 32x. Mainly use to spot hits after the shot or identify targets, etc….

I rarely shoot with over 20X magnification. I typically run between 6-18x on a FFP reticle.

Broz

Reaction score
I wish NF would have offered two models in the NX8. I cross between the 2.5 x 20 and the 4 x 32. Just two models, one in FFP and one in SFP in 5 ~ 25 x 50

5X on the bottom and 25 on top really will do what I need done. 2.5? nah, 32X ?, don't need it. Not for the intended purpose for these lighter offerings. But, that is just one man's opinion.

md99cobra

Reaction score
I wish NF would have offered two models in the NX8. I cross between the 2.5 x 20 and the 4 x 32. Just two models, one in FFP and one in SFP in 5 ~ 25 x 50

5X on the bottom and 25 on top really will do what I need done. 2.5? nah, 32X ?, don't need it. Not for the intended purpose for these lighter offerings. But, that is just one man's opinion.

Same here. 5-20 or 5-25 would be the perfect range for me.

I would really like to have a 5-25 ATACR.

Broz

Reaction score
Same here. 5-20 or 5-25 would be the perfect range for me.

I would really like to have a 5-25 ATACR.

Well, the ATACR 5~25 is my favorite scope. I build lighter rifles to offset the weight. But that scope is awesome as far as I am concerned.

Willys

Reaction score
Its too bad the 2.5x20 weighs the same as the 4x32. I would drop some power to save ounces.

CDE

Reaction score
I purchased my first Nightforce scope in August. An NX8 2.5-20 x 50 SFP Moar. I chose this scope for a very different reason, to go on a new high power PCP airgun.
The NX8 is an incredible scope. It checked several boxes. Short Paralax @ 10 yds. 2.5 x on the low side works great inside loafing sheds where shots are close and day light is at a minimum. Great clarity at any power. 110 moa elevation for the loopy trajectory of pellets and slugs. SFP for my aging eyes allows me to see the recital at any power. I almost picked the FFP for its windage at any power, but seeing the recital in low light at 2.5 x for close shots inside barns changed my mind.
Shooting airguns are very much like long range rifles. Just about any shot over your sight in yardage needs a dialed solution.
Minute of ground squirrel means 1/4" accuracy at distances well beyond 100 yards. very much like ELR 22LR, just in shorter ranges.
I'm with Broz on the 5-25x for most of my powder guns works perfect.
CDE,

Brendan

Reaction score
I'll chime in for a slightly different perspective. I really value a 2.5-4 as the low end on my rifles. 5X is a little too much for me, although I do have an ATACR 5-25 on one rifle.

But it really comes down to how you use it, my rifles aren't dedicated LR rigs where I'm always shooting open terrain, I've frequently found myself with shorter shots, quicker shots, and even running shots at close range with my "Long Range" rig. Being able to get an animal in the crosshairs quickly under a snap shot scenario is always going to be much easier with lower magnification.

My newest scope is the NX8 2.5-20 for those reasons. No time behind it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I may need another scope in the next year, and will probably look at the ATACR 4-20 x 50 so I have different scopes to choose from depending on the gun.

Forum Sponsors