New ATF proposed "rule" about powder storage

JJMonty

Reaction score

Comment period is open now on the ATF website

Last edited:

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
I don't think it is a bad idea to warn fire fighter of large amounts of powder at all. In fact I did once when we had a wild fire a few miles away and we were preparing for it if it got to our home.

But this would likely not effect me much as our closest neighbor is 2 1/2 miles away and the next neighbor the other way 5 to 8 miles

Gord0

Reaction score
We're they going to reclassify smokeless powder as explosive? Because what I heard in there was I would need to say something if I had black powder since it's explosive.

JJMonty

Reaction score
I don't think it is a bad idea to warn fire fighter of large amounts of powder at all. In fact I did once when we had a wild fire a few miles away and we were preparing for it if it got to our home.

But this would likely not effect me much as our closest neighbor is 2 1/2 miles away and the next neighbor the other way 5 to 8 miles

Reporting it to the local fire fighters should be a decision I make, not mandated by the ATF. This proposed rule allows the ATF to show up at our residences to inspect your storage & records. Records must be kept as if we were an FFL, with annual reporting requirements and those reports kept for 5 years. At the rate they are taking FFL's from people for minor paperwork errors, this opens up a can of worms on everyone who reloads.

We're they going to reclassify smokeless powder as explosive? Because what I heard in there was I would need to say something if I had black powder since it's explosive.

This includes gun powder, primers, black powder and fireworks as they are defined/classified as explosives in CFR 173.50 - .52. Basically anything that cannot be shipped to you by air. Small arms ammunition is exempted by 18 U.S.C. 845(a)(4), 27 CFR 555..11.

Last edited:

Sako76

Reaction score
Two things, my father had an FFL for 25 years and was never inspected by the ATF (sold about 150 guns/year) and was inspected by New Jersey State Police once. My buddy was a State Trooper and they all carried 15 shot Berettas in their pants pocket after the H&K P7 M8 was forced on them. When the trooper saw all the troopers names on the pistol permits my father told him and he never came back!

I live in rural area, firehouse about a mile away, they are hurting for members, what firemen are going to track this. How will this
Info be shared with firefighters at 3:00AM while at a fire?

Pretty stupid if you ask me!

JC273

Reaction score
Two things, my father had an FFL for 25 years and was never inspected by the ATF (sold about 150 guns/year) and was inspected by New Jersey State Police once. My buddy was a State Trooper and they all carried 15 shot Berettas in their pants pocket after the H&K P7 M8 was forced on them. When the trooper saw all the troopers names on the pistol permits my father told him and he never came back!

I live in rural area, firehouse about a mile away, they are hurting for members, what firemen are going to track this. How will this
Info be shared with firefighters at 3:00AM while at a fire?

Pretty stupid if you ask me!

Most fire fighters in the US are volunteers. They do not have the equipment paid metro dept’s have, do not have the ability to communicate pre fire plans, pre arrival assignments….I could go on and on

As someone that has all this on a computer in front of me, we do not have time to access the data in our sub 5min response times. Too busy doing a million other things enroute.

This is an absurd attempt at control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Sponsors