Best Suggestion for Rem 700 SS DBM 300 Weatherby Magnum

DanM

Reaction score
Being a newbie and not having unlimited financial resources, I am evaluating what to do with my Rem 700 SS DBM 300 Weatherby Magnum. I believe it is due for a new barrel. But the "kicker" literally for this gun is the recoil. I have reached an age where I can no longer sit down and comfortably shoot this gun for any length of time. The options are limiting: A Muzzle Brake which deafens the entire range and requires ear muffs at all times - hunting inclusive, or some type of recoil assist system. So here is my question:

Are any of you familiar with the Pauldron Recoil Reduction System which includes a stock insert specifically for Rem 700 Composite Stocks - mine inclusive - which is supposedly able to reduce felt recoil significantly - essentially a 300 Win Mag reduced to less than a 308! I have had several conversations with the owner and his engineers about this device and its ability to help with the 300 Weatherby Magnum and they are willing to let me trial it before paying the $225 they are charging for it.

Anyone familiar with this system? If it works, I am willing to keep the rifle and invest in its shooting capabilities but its all dependent on this reduction system. Just curious if others have had any experience with this system.

Sorry for the length.

Last edited:

J2shooter

Reaction score
A couple questions to add a little more context to your situation.

*What is the primary use for the rifle?
*What are the targets (including game animals) and at what range do you plan to shoot those targets?

I've never heard of the recoil reducer you mentioned. I guess you could have them send it to you if they're letting you try before buying.

DanM

Reaction score
Thanks J2! Good questions! More context....I own a Remington 700 BDL 7mm Rem Mag and a Savage Axis 25-06. The 7 mm Mag was the first gun I ever purchased and I just recently had it re-barrelled, new trigger, and cerakoted by Alamo Precision. My thinking caliber wise with the 300 Weatherby, 7mm Rem Mag, and the 25-06 I am pretty balanced. 30 Caliber if I ever go after big-body game, 7mm Mag - Truly versatile for many game, the 25-06 for the smaller framed animals and varmints if I desire.

If I can get the felt recoil reduced on the 300 Weatherby, then I will invest the money to DIY it back into a viable sub 0.5 MOA gun to 500 yards. I have never shot much further than that, so can not speak to anything greater. The DIY job will consist of a Remage type barrel system for the 300, new trigger, pillars, glass bedding, and potentially a new scope.

Beyond that, funds become the driving factor and limitation. It will be all good.

I have settled to the fact that I have nothing to lose if they are willing to allow me to "trial" the recoil system and I will go forward with the system to see how it works. If it works, I am a winner, if not, they lose.

That's my thoughts.

J2shooter

Reaction score
Well I do agree that those three calibers can cover just about everything ....

One thing to consider is the weight of the rifle.
I think if you're going to do this without a brake that it needs to be made pretty heavy if possible. 11# or so scoped.

I'm with you on brakes. It's a love / Hate for me. Definitely love the recoil reduction but hate how loud they can be. For this reason I'm moving to running suppressed as much as possible.

I think if I had to do a 30 without a brake or suppressor that I'd tone it down a little to maybe a 300 WSM + 185 ish grain bullet like a Berger juggernaut. Or the same in 300 win mag. And try to make it between 11-12 pounds scoped.
That would do fine to 500 yards. It's still going to be a shoulder thumper at that weight but should be easier to shoot small.

Rifle movement before the bullet leaves the muzzle is a large part of the problem with high recoil light weight rifles. This recoil reduction device you're looking at won't help with that I don't think but a heavier rifle will.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has suggestions on some kind of heavy fill material for that hollow stock to add weight and help with dampening... As an alternative.

Rjk300

Reaction score
I wouldn’t even consider using that stock. Get something more budget friendly like a B&C and as stated above trigger upgrade. I’m all for a muzzle brake. If it’s not suppressed then hearing protection is a must for me with or without a brake even hunting. If you feel the barrel is shot out you should start there. If your not sure have a reputable smith scope it, no use trying to get it to shoot if the throat is torched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanM

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. Yep weight is a consideration and another alternative to review relative to the path forward. Just not sure with the 300 Weatherby Magnum cartridge, enough practical weight can be added to really create enough felt recoil reduction. But if I can get enough with the insert and some additional weight, maybe then its a gun I can sit at the range and shoot some viable patterns.

If the insert does not work, I am selling the gun and will limit myself to the ol' standbys I currently have.

I will keep all posted.

Thanks, Dan

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Take a look at MC3 stocks. There should be a logo with link attached under the sponsor tab. Very affordable and great quality. They are a little heavier than a full carbon stock, but a fraction of the cost and many times ship in a couple days.

Forum Sponsors