Base Map app

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Well I studied for quite a while before I settled on Base Map for my GPS / land ownership / government lands, phone app.

I must say I am impressed so far. Accurate enough to know what room in my house I am in. Handy ability to trace a land parcel and give you acres inside your lines. Many layers like state , BLM, Forest service and Block management. Graphics are awesome. Weather is cool too. Plus a wind direction at your hunt stops is available.

It was a hard choice between Base Map and On X. But I am comfortable with my decision. Who else uses Base Map? Lets start sharing favorite features.

Jeff

Screenshot_20201019-092050_BaseMap.jpg

Zoomed in.
Screenshot_20201019-092143_BaseMap.jpg

Last edited:

Broz

Reaction score
There seems to be a bug in the Basemap app when used on an android phone. It is an issue with the weather not updating and a few other weather related things. I reported it and they are now aware and working on and update to fix it. I will wait a few days, then I may look at other options for an app.

Brendan

Reaction score
I personally don't use either, I've tried OnX, BaseMap, and Gaia GPS and use Gaia.

At the end of the day, I think both BaseMap and Gaia are much better values than OnX, Gaia's just been around longer , more developed IMO, and I'm much more used to it. Nice to have it work with Carplay in the car too when I want it up on the dash.

Broz

Reaction score
Just looking at Gaia's website. I had never heard of it. What is the advantage? Graphics on Basemap look better from the first glance. ?

I would only want it for hunting from my phone I think, so connectivity to other devices is not that important.

I really like the "Draw Shape" feature on base map where I can trace a parcel of land and get distances and acres inside the shape. I use that for ranch work and such.

Brendan

Reaction score
Just looking at Gaia's website. I had never heard of it. What is the advantage? Graphics on Basemap look better from the first glance. ?

I would only want it for hunting from my phone I think, so connectivity to other devices is not that important.

I really like the "Draw Shape" feature on base map where I can trace a parcel of land and get distances and acres inside the shape. I use that for ranch work and such.

To my knowledge, it has all of the exact same feature sets as both OnX and BaseMap. Imagery is as good as you can get it, as they all have access to the same data sources. For all of them I think it just comes down to how easy the app is to use, and how well you like the specific user interface. Example on acreage / area calculation:

Google Earth Imagery if you want it with a custom layer, layer transparency, public / private, easy to import / export to Google Earth, Hunting WMU layers, use it off the grid without cell service, fire history, topos, slope angle shading, weather, Caltopo map imports & layers....

Honestly, BaseMap is a lot newer app, and I had a lot more issues trying to use it when it first came out (Also, when they initially launch I feel they misrepresented some functionality which got me to subscribe and then rubbed me the wrong way when it wasn't included). With that said, most hunters seem to gravitate towards OnX and BaseMap as they are hunting companies aimed at hunters. Gaia isn't hunting specific, they do target hunters, but also overlanders, hikers, etc, etc.

At the end of the day, I think I've been using Gaia for hunting since 2015, use it on Android and Apple, so it comes down to familiarity.

Brendan

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Question, So if you want to send or receive a pin from a friend, I assume you both need to be using the same app? Correct?

Depends how you send it. They will all integrate with Google earth, meaning you can either download a "KML" or "KMZ" file from the app (or their website), and load it into Google earth on your computer (and vice versa). What's nice about this is you backup all your waypoints to your computer, can share as necessary, and do all your e-scouting using Google Earth at home. You can do all this sharing between apps using just your phone, but it's clunky and requires cell service.

If you just want to use the app without dealing with uploads and downloads, you should all be using the same app.

adam32

Reaction score
I've been using Base Map this year. I used OnX last year. So far I like Base Map much more. The options, details, etc I like more. The only thing I don't like, and it's probably since I haven't figured it out yet, is that you need actual cell service for it to properly work. The GPS signal on the app doesn't do anything except find your location, as far as I can tell anyway.

Brendan

Reaction score
The only thing I don't like, and it's probably since I haven't figured it out yet, is that you need actual cell service for it to properly work. The GPS signal on the app doesn't do anything except find your location, as far as I can tell anyway.

You should be able to download all maps and use it offline (phone in airplane mode). But, you have to make sure to do that before you head out...

Broz

Reaction score
You should be able to download all maps and use it offline (phone in airplane mode). But, you have to make sure to do that before you head out...

You can hit the big " +" at bottom, then "Maps" and it will walk you through it. It will save a large area then that maps will be saved in " My Maps" under the "+" also, in"off line Maps"

Armassi

Reaction score
Bumping this up
Basemap and leica geovid pro, drop a pin with your rangefinder on your bademap ap.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Forum Sponsors