AR-15 in 20 Practical (223 Rem necked down to .204)

ABC1000

Reaction score
I’m going to put the barrel on order but will have 2-3 months before it gets here. I can’t decide between 20” and 24” bbl. Any thoughts for a gas coyote gun?

I have a bolt gun coming in 20 Practical the next 2 weeks or so, so thought I’d get a dedicated coyote gun in an AR platform. I have a AR build I’ve never put together as I just don’t do much with gas guns.
I watched a couple of videos and for follow up shots it seems pretty ideal. I already have all the components, so for the cost of a barrel, rail, and gas block, etc I can use the majority of the components that have sat around for a few years on this build.

I’m trying to decide between 20” and 24” though. The bolt gun I have on order is 26” but I can’t decide. On one hand, I love to get as much speed as I can get but might go w the 20” to save some weight.

Has anybody had experience w a 20 cal gas gun? Any recommendations? White Oak Armament does the barrels. Has anybody worked with them in the past?

I was going to SBR the AR but am glad I haven’t yet.

I’ll swap out the scope, barrel, rail, gas system, etc but the current specs are:

ADM upper/lower
Criterion core 13.9” BARREL
BCM GUNFIGHTGER FURNITURE
OSS MOUNT AND FLASH HIDER
RADIAN HAMMER
AERO PRECISION BCG
BCM BUFFER TUBE
VLTOR SPRING AND BUFFER KIT
GEISSELE 2 STAGE TRIGGER
EOTECH XPS3
UNITY RISER

Like I said, this project has sat around for 3-4 years and I’ve never even assembled the rifle.

I was going to buy a NV system for this but lost interest. I might still do it but that’s something that I’m brand new to… but to be able to shoot dogs at night would be a party!

Attachments

• 942CE500-EFD7-40A0-862B-CF7807CE0324.jpeg
    942CE500-EFD7-40A0-862B-CF7807CE0324.jpeg
    527.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 9D742AB6-165E-4A37-9AB2-73C1A972CB0D.jpeg
    9D742AB6-165E-4A37-9AB2-73C1A972CB0D.jpeg
    520.7 KB · Views: 9

mjspeers

Reaction score
Let us know how it goes. I have no experience with a 20cal gas gun but it was something I debated. As I said in my other post I went slow twist 223. My suppressed 18” shoots 40gn vmaxs accurately and reliably so I’m happy.

If I was suppressing, 20”. If not, 24”. No brainer.

SierraJoe

Reaction score
I am curious, what kind of ballistics are you getting with this cartridge in your bolt gun?

mjspeers

Reaction score
Full case of Varget gets me best accuracy and about 3100fps

ABC1000

Reaction score
Let us know how it goes. I have no experience with a 20cal gas gun but it was something I debated. As I said in my other post I went slow twist 223. My suppressed 18” shoots 40gn vmaxs accurately and reliably so I’m happy.

If I was suppressing, 20”. If not, 24”. No brainer.
This is going to be suppressed. That’s why I was leaning on 20”.. also for weight. My longest barreled AR is 18” and that’s heavy enough for me…. It sure why a bolt gun doesn’t matter as much to me on length.

ABC1000

Reaction score
I am curious, what kind of ballistics are you getting with this cartridge in your bolt gun?
Not sure if you were asking about the bolt gun I referenced… if so, 24” guys are getting 4,200 with the 32 g vmax, and over 3,900 with the 39/40 grainers. That’s in 20 practical, tactical and 204 ruger… give or take.

MECA

Reaction score
If you run suppressed you may need to go to a piston system to keep things moving.
I have a Superlative in my 6.5 Grendel and it's great.
The difference in weight between a 20 and a 24 is negligible, but if you add the suppressor it becomes a length issue getting in and out of a vehicle at night.
In that case, the extra four inches can be a PITA!!!
Check out the Diligent Defense STI on the Pew Science websight for a suppressor. It's short and extremely light weight and their customer service is second to none.
Do yourself a favor and go thermal, not NV!
I will warn you, chasing ANYTHING at night with a thermal is a whole 'nother world. Although it can be, it's not really a long range affair, but it is as addicting as anything else in the sport of hunting!

ABC1000

Reaction score
Not sure if you were asking about the bolt gun I referenced… if so, 24” guys are getting 4,200 with the 32 g vmax, and over 3,900 with the 39/40 grainers. That’s in 20 practical, tactical and 204 ruger… give or tak
If you run suppressed you may need to go to a piston system to keep things moving.
The difference in weight between a 20 and a 24 is negligible, but if you add the suppressor it becomes a length issue getting in and out of a vehicle at night.
Check out the Diligent Defense STI on the Pew Science websight for a suppressor. It's short and extremely light weight and their customer service is second to none.
I will warn you, chasing ANYTHING at night with a thermal is a whole 'nother world. Although it can be, it's not really a long range affair, but it is as addicting as anything else in the sport of hunting!
Thanks Meca! I’ve had NV before and didn’t like it. It was an ATN scope which was a gateway drug but couldn’t handle any of the E Idaho winter temps… I was referencing thermal but again, am not up to speed on the thermal game. I have a good friend of mine that is very dialed in on this and that was the idea a few years ago. I think the unit I was looking into was around 5k for the thermal (clip on ??). My buddy is the one that spec’d the parts out for this build which was going to run suppressed in 5.56.
I’ll verify if I need to swap anything else out going from 5.56 to a necked down 5.56 round as I’m not a gas gun guy in general though own a few.

20” is what I’ll do. I’ll call the barrel manufacturer and see what they’d recommend for running suppressed as a lot of guys with their barrels are supressong.

ABC1000

Reaction score
Not sure if you were asking about the bolt gun I referenced… if so, 24” guys are getting 4,200 with the 32 g vmax, and over 3,900 with the 39/40 grainers. That’s in 20 practical, tactical and 204 ruger… give or tak
Thanks Meca! I’ve had NV before and didn’t like it. It was an ATN scope which was a gateway drug but couldn’t handle any of the E Idaho winter temps… I was referencing thermal but again, am not up to speed on the thermal game. I have a good friend of mine that is very dialed in on this and that was the idea a few years ago. I think the unit I was looking into was around 5k for the thermal (clip on ??). My buddy is the one that spec’d the parts out for this build which was going to run suppressed in 5.56.
I’ll verify if I need to swap anything else out going from 5.56 to a necked down 5.56 round as I’m not a gas gun guy in general though own a few.

20” is what I’ll do. I’ll call the barrel manufacturer and see what they’d recommend for running suppressed as a lot of guys with their barrels are suppressing.

Thanks again for the info.

Forum Sponsors