300 Weatherby accumark rebarreled to a 300WSM?

Johnston

Reaction score
I have a 300 Weatherby Accumark that I am considering new barrel with a brake, caliber, and trigger change. I am very limited in length when loading the 300 Weatherby and it is not fun to shoot. Considering a 300WSM or maybe something different. Looking for input and advice or what y’all would do with this rifle.

Willys

Reaction score
Maybe a TI-pro3 ST brake for starters? Or a lil Fat B. Gen 3 brake and a silicone slip-on pad. But yea they kick like a RUM !

Or drop powder so it runs same speed as that new lite 300wsm will be and recoil mite be the same - or less?

Last edited:

Johnston

Reaction score
Maybe a TI-pro3 ST brake for starters? Or a lil Fat B. Gen 3 brake and a silicone slip-on pad. But yea they kick like a RUM !

Or drop powder so it runs same speed as that new lite 300wsm will be and recoil mite be the same - or less?
Thanks for the advice. Im pretty dead set to change caliber if I keep the rifle. I would like to budget around $1000 for a steel barrel, brake, trigger, and smith work. TriggerTech special Mark V trigger goes for around $200 and should leave me with $800 for the rest of the build. Thanks and any advice or thoughts would be appreciated from you guys.

Nealm66

Reaction score
I really like the 6.5-300 with 156 bergers. Be an easy change.

Reaction score
I took the trigger off my mkv and replaced the captive weight of pull spring with a smaller diameter lighter spring that would pass through the weight of pull adjustment screw hole. Made a very nice light trigger.

Willys

Reaction score
Whats the max coal on the accumark magazine?
Mine were 3.800 but thats 338-378 I expect its the same. Some of the earlier ones didn’t have a notch in chamber cutout to allow full length to extract but 10 seconds with a dremel and sharpie fixes that.

WSMnut

Reaction score
That gives a lot of options. Wsm is one of my favorite choices but that’s a lot of mag length. Might consider 300 prc. Pretty cheap factory ammo and recoils not bad. Also 30 nosler would be a good choice to consider. 7 prc would give you plenty of length to try some of the real heavy stuff. Also affordable factory ammo in the prc. Recoils very manageable.

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
I have a 300 Weatherby Accumark that I am considering new barrel with a brake, caliber, and trigger change. I am very limited in length when loading the 300 Weatherby and it is not fun to shoot. Considering a 300WSM or maybe something different. Looking for input and advice or what y’all would do with this rifle.
What do you hunt? Changing to a smaller 30 cal is not going to reduce recoil that much less than a backed off 300 WBY round. If you are not hunting elk I would look at the .257 cartridges. 257 Wby, 25-06, 25 PRC or one of many others. And I would positively add a TI PRO brake

Johnston

Reaction score
My thoughts of going to a shorter 300 was to be able to load heavier bullets further out and control recoil with a brake like you mentioned. I would plan on using this for elk and some long range fun. I do have family land in WY that holds elk but I haven’t been since 2018. Primarily I hunt white tail in south Texas with a 7mm-08 and 280AI.

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
My thoughts of going to a shorter 300 was to be able to load heavier bullets further out and control recoil with a brake like you mentioned. I would plan on using this for elk and some long range fun. I do have family land in WY that holds elk but I haven’t been since 2018. Primarily I hunt white tail in south Texas with a 7mm-08 and 280AI.
Ok, then 30 cal and up for elk in my world. I vote 300 win mag. Should do all you want with the same magnum bolt face and plenty of room in the mag box. Use a 9 twist barrel in 24 or 26" 5 or 6 groove and you could consider the +P throat for extra velocity. 215 Bergers at 2950 to 3050 in a very sweet package. Elk to 1200 yards and targets at a mile with ease.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors